Lab bench power Supply / Voltage regulator with current limiter and indicators / adjustable volage current regulator

Hey! today I am going to show you how to make a lab bench power supply with very important properties.Such as current limiting. I searched in the internet for this but I couldn't find a single solution. So I thought to design a one for me and it worked nicely. So I thought of sharing my design on my blog

OK. this is what we going to make. This will cost around 400$ on eBay. i cannot guarantee that u can build the exact thing. But this will make an equivalent


This is what i built with my circuit diagram.

 

Doesn't it looks cool. Still the front panel is not printed for identification of controllers. there are 2 channels on the instrument. Left and Right both are equal and works separately. 1st 3 knobs are voltage, voltage fine tuning and current limiting.And the same for next 3 knobs. 1st 2 terminals are +v and -v for the 1st channel and the next two are for channel 2. bottom terminal is digital High (+5v) which is also and essential voltage output.

So lets start to make it.

This is the schematic diagram of the circuit.

It looks a bit messy but still it is 100% working. The IC i m using is L200 and it is a 5 pin ic. I have used 3 op amps in this circuit. On is to limit current and the other one is to Indicate current limiting.

The adapter in the left is the input voltage up to 32V. R5 is the load resistor which you are going to attach to this circuit.
RV1 is the potentiometer for coarse voltage adjustment.
RV3 is the fine voltage adjustment.
Rv2 is the current limiting adjustment.

The voltmeter and the ammter on the right side are external measurement equipment and the wiring may be differ than this schematic

This schematic is only per one line/channel. If you need to make more than one channel you need to increase the number of circuits.
After designing the circuit I have made a pcb design using Diptrace and then printed it using UV method. Assembled all parts. I needed to make 2 channel system so my pcb design contains 2 separated channels.even the ground must be separated.

I ordered two voltmeter ammeter sets from ebay under 7$. And the front panel connectors switches I bought from local market


The cover of the power supply was also ordered from ebay for 11$. under the name "Plastic Enclosure Project Instrument Case"


Then accordingly I planed and drilled the front panel rear panel.Switches connectors. controllers.

A cooling fan was added as it is too hot inside when a large current is flowing. Some crocodile clips and connectors were ordered for connecting.And the system is ready for projects.

Watch this video demonstrating all features

















Thank you!
any questions. Comment down below. or comment on my video in youtube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PT 2308 Headphone Driver IC

Light a LED using Main Current 230V/110V AC